38, Upper Grosvenor Street, Mayfair W1, London
The property is a magnificent stone fronted building, originally two houses, situated in a prime corner position between Park Lane and Grosvenor Square.
Upper Grosvenor Street was developed between 1724 and 1741 with Grosvenor House, the home of the Grosvenor family from 1808 to 1916, at its junction with Park Lane.
38, Upper Grosvenor Street was built to the designs of Detmar Blow and Fernand Billerey in 1911-12. Detmar Blow, 1867-1939, originally worked in the Arts and Crafts style and from 1910 he moved towards a more formal Georgian style. His partner Fernand Billerey was responsible for the formal classical buildings on the north and west sides of Grosvenor Square.
The façade is a fine piece of Beaux-Arts classicism. The composition is tied together by a prominent Modillion cornice at attic level, the balustrades below the first floor windows and along the parapet and the French-Style channeling of the Portland stone masonry.
Unlike typical Nash stucco terraces it looks 'more like a public building transplanted from Paris than a group of houses in Mayfair' (Survey of London).
1733 - 61: 1st and 2nd Baron Edgcumbe, politicians
1761 - 95: Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, admiral
1854 - 5: Dowager Countess of Powis
1867 - 78: Lady Lucy Calvert